Saturday, October 8, 2016

Poetry Magazine

I subscribed to Poetry shortly before I retired.  At first, I was really excited and enjoyed each issue very much.  It was well worth the $2.00 per issue (annual subscription $24.00).


Lately, though, the excitement was wearing off.  Often when I brought in the magazine and read it eagerly, I found few or no poems I liked.  And the commentary was too abstruse.  Then there was the modern art.  I'm still unclear on how graphic art = poetry.


Anyway, last month I got a bill for another year.  The price had gone up to $26.00.  I put the notice aside, to think about whether it was worth it.


Then the latest issue arrived.  And the first poem really appealed to me.  It was a rather long poem, which I usually don't care for, or only care for selected portions.  This one was good all the way through.


So now I'm going to resubscribe.  I like supporting The Poetry Foundation, and even an occasional gem is probably worth a bit more than $2.00 per issue.


I also subscribe to Poetry Northwest, with a similar annual fee, but they publish only twice a year.  I'm still waiting for the second issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment